History records a timber parish Church in Rathfarnham at 1212AD. Later a stone Church was built on the site and the ruins remain to today, 40 metres north of the present Church.
In 1779/80 a decision was made to build a new Church as the congregation grew in numbers. In 1785 the foundation stone for the new Church was laid on the present site and 1789 it opened for worship. The Church was consecrated in 1795 with several additions in the last two and a bit centuries. Entering the church through the doorway under the spire, a simple staircase rises to the organ loft and gallery, the entrance to the church is to the visitor's left. The interior is surprisingly big with a large organ dominating the right hand transept, behind the choir stalls. The south transept has an exit door and an internal passage leading to the Parish Centre, kitchen and toilets.
Since the structure was first built, the church has had many additions and alterations.
- In 1821 the porch, tower and vestry were added.
- In 1852 a transept on the north side was added and a gallery built.
- In 1889 a transept was added on the south side to accommodate the organ and choir.
- In 1994 the old school house on the site was developed and renovated and connected to the Church by a foyer. This is now the Parish Centre.
- At the same time, 1994, the sexton’s house was re-modelled into a curate’s residence.
- In 2001 the “Millennium Side Chapel” was built and consecrated.
- In 2003 the front of the Church and choir stalls were re-ordered.
- In 2004 the Church roof was replaced and the attic timbers renewed. For photos, see below.
- In 2017 the Curate's /Sexton's house was renovated. The vacant premises was been stripped back to the bare boards to examine in detail all the workings of the house: walls, wood work, roof, water supply, gas lines and electrical work, put back together and redecorated, ready to be rented out
War Memorial Hall
Provision of a parochial hall was first discussed in 1918. In March 1919 a meeting of parishioners was held which approved the building of a hall. Also in March 1919 a site was leased from Colonel Sir Frederick Shaw and building commenced. The architect was W Sedgwick Keatinge who offered his services free of charge. The contractor was John A Stringer who built all the nearby homes on Rathfarnham Road and Rathdown Park.
The original proposal was for a hall measuring 60ft by 30ft but this was later reduced for cost reasons to 50ft by 25ft. It was agreed that the hall should be a memorial to all those from the district of Terenure who had served in the 1st World War. In 1924 a Memorial Celtic Cross was presented by the Shaws (still in the hall) in memory of those of all denominations who served in the war. The War Memorial Hall was dedicated and opened on Sunday 21st January 1923 by Archbishop Gregg. The Oak Room was added in 1949. The Parish School moved into the hall from 1962-1967 due to the damp conditions of the old schoolhouse (now the Parish Centre beside the Church).
Below is a copy of the original plan with 2009 applied-for improvements.